iPhone 3.0 top features
March 21, 2009
In addition to usability enhancements such as copy-paste, wide keyboard for all apps, universal search, background SMS send and SMS forward this is an important release because it really expands the possibilities for the platform:
- In-app purchases: Buy additional levels in a game, another city guide, more talk time, an article, etc. This might be the re-launch of micropayments.
- Peripheral control APIs: The iTouch platform can now be the face of home appliances, entertainment devices, industrial equipment and testing tools.
- Bluetooth networking and discovery with Bonjour: Should allow starting and playing games with one or more friends across the room, and sharing pictures, contact cards and other files.
- Voice memos over MMS: What if instead of spending one minute typing a text message I just speak it? Recipient can then reply by voice. Asynchronous as SMS, but efficient as talking.
- Streaming video: If providers deliver paid live content to the iPhone this could be another pathway to the living room (iPhone supports TV out).
- Embedded maps: Now watch LBS apps really take off.
- Push notifications: 3rd party communications apps are now possible.